Monday, January 25, 2010

It is the Little Things

Our kids can surely make us laugh.

Katey came downstairs over the weekend dressed like this:

She insisted that the skirt went well with the dress and tried to convince me to let her wear them both together. Not a chance!

Then, later that day we went to the mall. Seth had been begging for new shoes that tie since he was recently inducted into the "Shoe Tying Club" in Kindergarten. I had the kids' feet measured and sure enough, they had both outgrown their shoes. After a long time at the shoe store and many trips of running up and down the aisles to test out the "turbo" on the shoes (as Seth put it), they both ended up with velcro shoes. Go figure!

Speaking of "turbo"... Seth really liked the look of one pair of sneakers but said they felt heavy and didn't have any turbo in them, so he couldn't run very fast. Later in the weekend, he declared that the turbo comes from the orange dots on the bottom of his shoes. Who knew?!? He was ecstatic to learn and share with Mike that the turbo also kicks in when he rides his bike! Bet you are now wondering where you can get such an awesome pair of sneakers, right?

Well, here are the kids showing off their fancy footwear.


I should also mention that Seth LOVES shoes. He is his mother's son. (Seth tried to persuade me to get him 2 pair instead of one.) And, he exclaimed the next morning, "Mommy, I LOVE my new shoes!! Thank you so much for getting them for me!" Who knew it would be our son that would be picky about clothes and adore shoes? :-)

Finally, the last big laugh we got this weekend surrounded the changing of smoke detector batteries. Seth hates the sound of the smoke detectors and is frequently afraid they will randomly be set off. Mike started to change out the batteries and this was the position Seth assumed:

What you can't see here is that he is clinging to me like a monkey! His right arm is wrapped completely around my neck and he is using his right hand to plug his right ear. After battery #1 was changed, we relocated. Seth and I went into my bedroom and closed the door. Then into my bathroom and closed the door. Then into my closet and closed the door to drown out the sound. (Just in case you are wondering, we have had the conversation that in the event of the detectors actually going off, we get out of the house, not just hide in the closet. He asked to go outside but since it was raining, this was the next-best option.)

4 comments:

Alison said...

ha! seth and his shoes. i will never forget our last trip to the shoe store with andrew and seth together. andrew was crying because he had to get new shoes, and seth was crying because he WASN'T getting new shoes! that about sums up the two of them. :)

The Hines Family said...

My brother and I were the same way. He cared a lot more about clothes and shoes than I did. I love that he had to have shoes with "turbo" in them! :-)

I think Katey's layered dresses are cute! She's setting her own style! :-)

librariane said...

Heh--I saw this commercial for Skechers while at the gym this weekend and it totally made me think of the turbo story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJZGj6Vw0w

Susan said...

Sidney is my shoe girl. I, sadly, am not. Although I have bought more shoes in the last 2 months than I have bought in a year for myself. Go figure.

Madison is scared to death of the smoke detectors. Ever since the one outside her bedroom went off at 1 in the morning, she worries often about them going off again. But that is such a sweet picture.