Saturday, March 27, 2010

Thoughts from Mike on Katey

Last weekend, Jen ran away from home took a much deserved break and left me with the kids. This is usually a welcome time for me, since I enjoy some solitude once in awhile, even from such a lovely angel as my wife. Of course, I also get to understand what Jen goes through every day of the week have quality time with Katey and Seth, and this was no exception.

Katey decided to join me outside while I worked on the lawn. This was the official start of Spring, and Katey was exulting in the glory of the new season. I mean that quite literally. She was doing her best impression of a leaping ballerina, all while shouting,"Spring is here, Spring is here!" (Jen would have now inserted a picture of Katey exulting.) She did this for a little while before stopping abruptly. She looked down at her shorts, and then quickly zipped them up, as apparently this was forgotten in the rush to get outside.

This incident was a good summary in many ways of Katey's personality. She has grand visions and plans, but is often humbled by the mundane realities of life. So far, this has not stopped her from coming up with new visions and plans. As a parent, I often catch myself putting the damper on these schemes. (No Katey, we can't build a boat out of dead trees from the woods in the backyard and sail down the river drainage creek.) While I obviously am put in her life as a voice of reason, I don't want to unnecessarily dampen her spirit of creativity. She'll have plenty of time later to learn about things like budgets, regulations, gravity, and the other limitations of life. God willing, I will appreciate this time in her life when everything seems possible.

1 comments:

Amy said...

I love your writing, Mike!

Katey is a unique, fun, gifted individual... It will be fun to see what (else) God does through her!

Jen, I hope you had a good break. :)