Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things

I've been thinking for awhile now about posting on some of the things that the kids are doing these days that I just love. So, here goes...













Katey

Probably my most favorite thing that Katey does at the moment is parenthetical speaking. What?!? We all know that this girl LOVES to talk and to tell stories. Her latest way to do that is to talk normally until she gets to a parenthetical side-note in the tale at which point she turns her head to the side a little and lowers her voice almost to a whisper. When the side-note is complete she returns to her normal speaking tone. It is amazing how many of her stories include parenthesis. For example, "Mommy, today in PE (I had PE today since it is Monday) I came in 2nd place in the race!" SO CUTE!!

Another thing that totally makes me smile is the expression in Katey's voice when she reads out loud. In Sunday School class she was asked to read a passage aloud from Exodus. It was one where God and Moses are speaking to each other. When she got to God's words she used a really deep and booming voice. When she read the words of Moses she sounded quiet and timid. When she read everything in between it was her normal voice. This child is creative!

Completely unrelated to words, I adore the loving nature that Katey possesses. She is so sweet with Seth and is a great big sister. She is so genuine with her gratitude and so tender with her emotions toward others.













Seth

I love that Seth is working on using proper forms of words at the moment and still gets them mixed-up sometimes. He is working really, really hard on using 'aren't' instead of 'am'. For example, he says, "I am a good bike rider, am I, Mommy?...oh, I mean aren't I, Mommy". But, even better than mis-using the tense and then correcting himself, he then scolds himself aloud. "Seth, you know that it is 'aren't', not 'am'. [then in a slightly different sounding tone of voice] Oh, right, I just forgot, sorry."

Some of you may be thinking that the word theme in this post is interesting. However, I would like to now point out that you are incorrect in your thinking. According to Seth, the theme is "in-stress-ting", but I am sure he will let your slip in thoughts slide just this one time. Hee hee hee

(And even though he has moved past this and uses the word correctly now, I can assure you that I will not ever park in a parking spot again. My van parks in 'spocks'.)

Seth came home from school one day talking about a bucket. He told us that everyone has an invisible bucket and when someone says or does nice things to you, the bucket gets filled. If someone does mean things to you then your bucket gets empty. Okay, a nice, concrete way to think about how your words and actions affect people around you. So, why is this one of my favorite things? Because a couple of times now when I have picked Seth up and snuggled him and given him lots of Mommy kisses he has looked at me with this happy little face and declared, "Aw, thanks Mommy, you filled up my bucket!"

Mike
No stories here. Just wanted to point out that Mike is one of my favorite things. I Love you!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad I made the cut! You're in my top 5 of favorite things as well.

Alison said...

ok, just the title of your post got the song stuck in my head. and i don't know all the words. raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...something about strudel tied up with string...aaaagggghhhh.

cute post! we always park in "spocks," too, thanks to seth!

librariane said...

Yes, I see the bird isn't on the list... assuming you still have it!

Katey could be a great librarian if she keeps up the reading aloud emoting. :)

The Hines Family said...

Haha--like Mike's comment. :-)

Those kids are so cute!