Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Aw Autumn!

I love the Autumn! Changing leaves, pumpkins, Indian corn, relief from the summer heat of NC, apple recipes, getting to wear clothes you haven't seen in 6 months...what could be better? (At least at the moment - in a couple of months I'll be longing for summer again!)

We decided to kick off Fall at a local farm called Aw Shucks. Mike took the kids there last year while I stayed at home with a cast on my foot. So, I was excited to be joining the family this year for such a fun event. And, the kids both made mention that it was my first time to go and were excited as well. The coolest part about Aw Shucks is the corn maze! The kids took turns navigating us through the maze and we discovered that Katey is excellent at reading and following a map. (Much better than her Mommy!) If you want to see an arial view of the maze, click on the "Aw Shucks" underlined above.We also had fun with the other activities at the farm. The kids fed fish in the pond, played in the tree house, took a hay ride, saw some sheep, horses, chickens and turkeys, tried their hand at cattle roping, took a nature walk to spot birdhouses and even participated in a duck race!
The kids riding on the cow after they both roped him. So cute!

Okay, so it wasn't REAL ducks that they were racing, but it was really fun and I think they liked using rubber duckies and being able to pump water even better than if they were the real thing. :-)

All in all it was a fun day. We decided not to purchase pumpkins just yet as there wasn't much variety when we were looking. Even with the promise of getting pumpkins somewhere else soon, Seth was not a happy camper. So, we left on a bad note with lots of tears and frustration and Seth saying he didn't have a good time at all today. However, after a nap, he declared that Aw Shucks was a lot of fun! (Naps are the cure-all for any ailment...that is why I like to take so many of them.) Katey was unwaivering in her declaration of fun and has now asked when we can go pick apples. Go figure.

Oh, and did I say that I love Autumn partly due to the relief from the summer heat? We trekked through the corn maize in 80 degree weather and sat on the hay ride sweating! Not that I am complaining, but it did feel a bit counter-intuitive to participate in such Fall activities while hoping to find a little shade somewhere. Gotta love North Carolina!!

I'll end this post with a few cute pictures from the day. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Susan said...

I love Aw Shucks. Looks like they have added some new things sine I was there last year. I will be going with preschool this year but really want to take the kids. (we may have to go on Monday after we get back).

And if you think it's still hot in NC... wow... It still feels like mid summer here in Fl.

Glad you got to join your family for the fun this year. Looks like you all had a blast.

The Hines Family said...

Aw Shucks is SO fun! We went over the weekend and I'm going again with my school kids when I go back to work. The kids always have such a good time! Glad you were able to go this year! :-)