Friday, November 4, 2011

Costumed

In early October I was taking a trip down memory lane, thinking of all the cool home-made costumes that Shannon and I wore through the years to go trick-or-treating.  There was the Coke can, the Rubik's Cube, Mother nature, a baby...  Part of the fun was coming up with something creative that could be produced by Mom, then seeing it come to fruition. 

So, I announced to the kids that this year we would be making our Halloween costumes.  I hoped for excited squeals and cool creativity.  I got moans and groans and pleas for store-bought stuff.  But, after tossing out some ideas, the kids started to warm up to the plan.  Katey more-so than Seth, as she is the one who loves craft projects.

After some internet scouring (how did our parents do things without the wonder of online resources?!?) the kids landed on their desired masquerades - a box of popcorn and a tornado:






We got lots of compliments on the costumes and, in the end, the kids were pretty excited about them.  Seth picked out the eyes for his tornado - he wanted it to look like something was stuck inside the swirling mass.  Every time I look at the pictures the Martian character from Sesame Street comes to mind:
  HA!! 

I am hoping that now the kids are on board with future homemade costumes.  I had fun making them and they had fun wearing them (though Katey did let Mike take over with the box before the night of trick-or-treating was done.  Wish I had gotten a picture of that!). 

Happy Halloween!!

0 comments: