Wednesday, August 4, 2010

If Only...

Seth and I spent some time throwing rocks into a pond today while Katey was busy with her 2nd piano lesson. On the way back to the van a motorcycle passed us. The following conversation then ensued:

Seth: WOW! That motorcycle must have cost a lot, a lot, a lot of money!
Me: Maybe. How much do you think it cost?
S: Welllllll...maybe like about $200!

J: Oh, well how much would it cost to buy a car?
S: Probably around um $400.

J: I see. What do you think it would cost to buy a house like ours?
S: That is really a lot of money! I would say about $1000. But when you first get married you don't have a lot of money and you don't have any money to buy furniture.

J: So how much would it cost to buy a couch?
S: They cost a lot - like $30

J: People need beds to sleep in, so how much would that cost?
S: Maybe about $35. Mommy, my hands are dirty from throwing rocks. We really need to wash them.

And, it was true. His hands were really dirty from throwing rocks (but what fun we had doing it). And, Seth was growing weary of teaching me about the cost of living. If only...

Just to see what she had to say about it, I asked Katey the same questions just now. Her responses?

Motorcycle: Hmmm. Probably about $350
Car: Well, for convertibles it would be over $1000 but cars usually cost between $500 and $1500. (she said with much conviction and a sureness of her figures)
House: Probably about $900. I mean, our house is pretty big.
Couch: At least $50
Bed: $100

Sweet dreams...

3 comments:

Susan said...

Yes, if only.... Kids have the right idea - keep the costs low...

The Hines Family said...

If Seth and Katey every decide to open up a car dealership, let me know! :-)

Unknown said...

I should let the kids do the church budget next year.