Thursday, September 17, 2009

Will Wonders Never Cease?!

We are, at times, a house divided.

VS. Now, I say "at times" as I am not quite the Ohio State Buckeye fan that my family probably longs for me to be. I can't name even one of the players at the moment, and the only way I can tell you that they are playing is by reading the status updates of friends and family on Facebook. (I'm sorry family, truly sorry).

Mike is a big Michigan fan. Now, he isn't an over-the-top, have to postpone or reschedule or cancel our date because Michigan is playing Notre Dame, kind of fan. (Thank you, Sweetie, for still taking me out last Saturday!) But, he is a big fan.

With all of that being said, my wonderful, loving, sometimes likes to push your buttons, die-hard Buckeye fan mother got Katey and Seth OSU T-shirts for Katey's birthday. Not only that, but she has been programming them since birth to do the O-H...I-O chant along with "Go Bucks!"...much to the disgust of their Daddy. And, it seems that no matter how hard Mike tries to get a, "Go Blue!" out of them, the kids just find OSU to be their team of choice.

Somehow we got on the topic of the OSU game on Sunday after church. Being a sub-par fan, I had no idea if they had won (or whom they had played). Seth and Katey were chiming in, hoping with all the hope they could muster that the Buckeyes won. Then Katey pipes up, "What sport do the Buckeyes play?" That's my girl!! :-) After a small discussion of it currently being football season, Mike decided to try, once again, to sway the kids to the dark side (hey, Michigan blue is actually a darker color than scarlet, right?!). The conversation went something like this:
Mike: Do you know what a buckeye is?
Katey: A nut!!
Mike: And do you know that Michigan's mascot is a Wolverine! Do you know what that is?
Seth: I think wolverine is in the comic books or something like that.
Mike: Yes, he is a SUPER HERO, but also it is a mean animal that can fight! Would you rather be a nut or a cool super hero/animal?
Katey: [Growl] Daddy!
(This decision is impossible for her as she doesn't like to be called a nut but doesn't want to side with Daddy on this one!)
Seth: I like the Buckeyes. Stop talking to me, you are making me angry!

The rest of the afternoon was spent with Mike trying to sway just one of the kids to his side and neither of them budging - for no good or apparent reason. Poor Mike. The Averill genes might be strong enough to make both kids look like exact duplicates of their father, but obviously the Hendrickson genes make you bleed scarlet (and grey). Hee hee hee.

On another topic altogether...
Seth decided yesterday to wear ANKLE SOCKS to school! He pulled them out of the drawer and said he would wear them to school. Some friends and I were pondering over this yesterday, wondering if he sees that other kids in his class don't wear socks pulled up to their underwear or if maybe he was teased or something like that. So, Seth gets off the bus, comes in the door and immediately takes off his shoes and socks, declaring that the sock bothered him all day. Okay. Then, this morning I send him up to his room to get dressed. I head up to check on the kids a few minutes later and find him digging through the sock drawer. He pulls out another pair of ankle socks (what, 2 days in a row??!!) and he says, "Well, I guess I'll wear these again today." And then it hits me...

Mommy needs to do laundry. :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

that is the best ending to a blog post in the history of blogging. (I'm going to leave the OSU/UM thing alone)

Susan said...

Your account of the OSU/MU rivalry sounds alot like when my dad tries to sway the kids into cheering for the Gators...but at our house, we bleed Red and Black! Todd has been teaching the kids "GO DAWGS" since before they could talk...

Gotta say, Seth and his socks is LOL funny! Did you get your laundry done? Maybe he'll get used to those ankle socks after all!

The Hines Family said...

That sock story is hilarious! Poor Seth had to wear ankle socks two days in a row!