Friday, June 15, 2012

Social Conventions

There is a big debate brewing at our house:  What to call the parents?  Both kids have always called us Mommy and Daddy.  In the last year or so I have wondered when they might switch over to Mom and Dad and I have even encouraged Katey to make the change as it feels a little strange to have a now 6th grader call me Mommy.  She has stood firm.  Seth, however, came home last week and declared that he would now call us Mom and Dad.  He's about 50% there in remembering to do so.

This got me thinking about social conventions and how we do things rather strangely in the US sometimes.  How bizarre that it is commonplace to teach a child to call you one thing (Mommy) then switch that around when they hit a certain age (Mom) - and have it be looked down upon if you don't.  Now, I don't know if others are judging my family when they hear Katey say mommy, but it feels uncomfortable to me knowing they might.

So, the great debate continues around here.  Seth is trying hard to make the switch and Katey happily adds, "E" to the end when Seth stops at Mom or Dad.  If I refer to myself as Mom we can also hear Katey say "E!" if she is within earshot.  (She has even gone so far as to correct me in writing.  I will sometimes jot notes to the kids on their napkins at lunch.  When I sign it "Mom" Katey will return it to me with MY added to the end!)

I am curious to see where we land in the coming weeks but if I were to place a bet it would be that we will soon be called both Mommy/Mom and Daddy/Dad, depending on which child is addressing us. 

1 comments:

Susan said...

How interesting! Davis and Sidney still have always called me mommy, but from the time Madison could talk, she called me Momma and still does. Over the past few months, I have noticed that Sidney has changed from calling me Mommy to calling me Momma. And even though she will be going into 6th grade and Madison into 5th, I'm really in no hurry for them to switch to "Mom". Luckily, I still have a few years left with Davis. All three have always called Todd "Daddy" and I don't see that changing. Well, maybe Davis one day, but I still call my dad "Daddy". However, when they refer to us in writing or conversation it's "Mom or Dad". Now you've given me something to think about! Hmmm! Hope you all are doing well!