Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Our Sweet Katey

A conversation that took place a few weeks ago between Seth, Katey and Jen:

S: Katey, would you rather have a Peek-a-Poo or a pencil? (A peek-a-poo is a breed of dog that our kids are in love with at the moment)
K: A PEEK-A-POO. No, wait a minute. A pencil. Mommy, didn't you tell me that Aunt Shannon is allergic to cats and dogs?
J: No, Aunt Shannon is allergic to cats, not dogs.
K: But you told me it was cats AND dogs.
J: No, she is only allergic to cats.
K: But you told me...
J: I don't think I told you that, but I AM telling you now that it is only cats, NOT DOGS.
K: Okay Seth, then I would want a peek-a-poo. If Aunt Shannon was allergic to dogs then I would have chosen a pencil so she could still come to our house!
J: (Heart melting and so very proud of our daughter for loving others so well)

In the last couple of weeks Katey has been diagnosed with ADHD (primarily inattentive). This was not a big shock to us but we are still trying to get our heads around how best to help her. After the doctor's appointment where this was discussed and diagnosed, Mike was talking with Katey about ADHD - what it is, who else we know that may have it, and what it means that she has it. Mike asked Katey if she had any questions about their conversation. Her question? "Daddy, is it contagious?"

That is sweet in and of itself, but was made so much more sweet and amusing when I stopped into the school the next day to say hello to the kids during lunch. I was talking with Katey's teacher who wanted me to know that Katey's first words to her that morning were, "I have ADHD but don't worry, it's not contagious!"

I love this child so much!!

3 comments:

Amy said...

She IS so sweet! And so creative, and so fun, and so imaginative... I love hearing the things she says. :)

Susan said...

What a sweet girl! And she looks so grown up.

The Hines Family said...

Sweet Katey! Always thinking about others.