Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blink

Friends warned me this would happen and I didn't believe them.
Relatives warned me it would happen and I didn't believe them, either.
Now I have succumbed to the group of wise(r) parents and warn others that I come into contact with...

Time flies and kids grow up faster than you can possibly imagine.

It hit me the other day - we are no longer parents to little kids. How did that happen?? I look back and think of all the hours, days time I spent wondering how I would make it through the day until Daddy got home and could help with our little crazies angels. Sometimes it felt as though they would never get big enough to _________ (use the potty, dress themselves, play unattended for 2 minutes in another room, go to school...). Wiser parents would say that I should cherish those times as they would quickly fly by. I'm pretty sure I secretly wished for that to be true in each moment. And then it happened.

Blink!

Somehow we have gone from diaper bags and strollers to backpacks and bikes. Bottoms no longer need wiping and Dora the Explorer has been replaced with The Electric Company and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Board books have given way to chapter books and early bedtimes are pushed back for fun on the Wii or with family games.

We discovered recently that Katey is now too big for restaurant play-places. It was a sad day this summer when she had to watch Seth and his friends play while she sat and finished her lunch. How did she get so big?

I don't want to leave this post with a lamenting feel. While gone are the days of free baby ice cream cones and naps every afternoon, we are experiencing some of the fun of having big kids. We can all ride the big rides at Carowinds this year and have thoroughly enjoyed the Gold Rusher again and again! We can now allow the kids a little independence of playing outside alone with friends (with certain restrictions, of course). And, we get free labor help teach responsibility through chores like sweeping the kitchen floor.

I'm looking forward to watching the kids grow more and more...and learning how to become a parent to big kids. I'm guessing that about the time we think we have a handle on that...

Blink!

6 comments:

Alison said...

so true! i can feel it happening, too. it goes by so fast, but the good news is each new stage is more fun than the last!

The Coleclan9 said...

uh, yes, how about half a blink, eh? When did I get 3 teens and 2 tweens? I was just a mom with 5 under 6 years old yesterday, wasn't it? Loved your post!

The Coleclan9 said...

uh, yes, how about half a blink, eh? When did I get 3 teens and 2 tweens? I was just a mom with 5 under 6 years old yesterday, wasn't it? Loved your post!

Annie said...

That's so sweet but sad too... I actually suggested to Brandon recently that we should space our kids out every 5 years so that we can enjoy having a baby in the house for the next decade or so. Brandon wasn't too thrilled. Maybe he'll change his mind when he reads you post! NOT! =)

The Hines Family said...

Such a great post! :-)

librariane said...

Gah, Blogger must have eaten the comment I typed the other day... I think I said something about being glad to see the positive attitude by the end of the post...